We're collaborating with the good guys over at Brother Cycles to bring their bikepacking, gravel grinding, adventure seeking event - 'Brother in the Wild' to New Zealand!
The Brother in the Wild 'komoot World Tour' is a series of events created by Brother Cycles and supported by komoot
, in which they collaborate with shops around the world on group adventure rides for all to come and enjoy. For our first dabble in this realm, we're starting with a day ride out in the Hutt Valley.
The goal was to come up with a gravel route that is both varied and unfamiliar to most of you. We've come up with one that has it all, covering light singletrack, flowy climbs, chunky gravel descents, fire roads and more!
It won't all be riding though, as we've planned a few good stops along the way with plenty of food, snacks and drinks. It will be a big day, but it is definitely not a race.
The details - here is the plan for the day:
- Meet at 9am at Queens Wharf. Please arrive on time as there will be many bikes to pack on board which will take some time. Our chartered ferry will depart no later than 9:30 so don't be late!
- We will arrive at around 10am at Days Bay. There will be a section of road riding to get to the beginning of the offroad section.
- We'll have a short snack break around the halfway mark.
- We will then descend the remaining part of the off-road section, which will take us back down to the Hutt River where we'll stop to have lunch.
- From here we'll link up with the Hutt River Trail, which will take us all the way back to Days Bay.
- On arrival, our plan is to hang out at the beach assuming the weather is nice, have some drinks and food, and then catch a cruisey ferry back into Wellington Central
The ride is around 48km, There is no need to be super fit, but considering a decent amount of this ride will be off road, a good level of fitness is required.
The terrain is relatively rough and there are some steep sections, so come prepared to do a bit of hike-a-biking if need be. We recommend tyre sizes that are 40mm or more for a comfortable day of riding.
Tickets to this event cost $25, which covers the Ferry to and from Days Bay from Queens Wharf.
Riders will receive a little 'Brother in the Wild' event pack which will include some event info, stickers and a wooden Dangle Disc which you can proudly attach to your bike to show you're a ticket holder! The route will be shared using the komoot app and you will receive a code for a free region bundle to use on komoot. Please note you can also download the gpx file from komoot should you wish.
We'll be providing lunch as well as snacks and drinks at the end of the ride, so just bring along any snacks you may want for while you're riding, and heaps of water because it will be a big day! Numbers are limited, so make sure to secure your spot in advance.
To purchase tickets via Eventbrite, click here
. You can also find the facebook event page here
Keep an eye out on the facebook event for announcements if our plans do change. That being said, this is an adventure ride, so don't forget to pack a raincoat in case things get wet, as well as enough warm layers to get you through the day, regardless of the conditions. We'll be bringing along a set of tools, but we ask you to please bring either a spare tube or tubeless repair kit depending on what set up you are running, as well as a multi-tool and a pump, that way you're mostly self sufficient.
If you have any other questions about the event feel free to get in touch with us directly, otherwise we'll see you on the ferry out there!